Saturday, August 1, 2015

Smart-Meter-Free, Please!

Image from http://www.smartmetereducationnetwork.com/how-to-tell-if-I-have-a-ami-dte-smart-advanced-meter.php

A lot of people don't know what smart meters are yet.  I didn't know until a few years back when a friend talked about being sensitive to them.  In a nutshell, smart meters are radio transmitting devices that utility companies have been installing on customer's homes and businesses.  The radio frequencies communicate with the utility companies to let them know when and how much of their commodity customers are using, eliminating the need for meter readers.

Sounds okay, right?  However...

It's estimated that 3 to 5 percent of the population are what's called electromagnetically hyper sensitive.  The National Council on Disability Transportation Report from May of this year, is calling for radio frequency free zones, plus reduced radio frequencies in public transportation, because some people experience very debilitating effects from them.

About six months after I got my first cell phone, I discovered that I had some kind of sensitivity going on.  My "phone ear" started becoming warm as I held the phone to my head.  Shortly after that I started experiencing constant pain in that ear.  The pain would go away only after not using the phone for several days.  But as soon as I held the phone to my ear again, the pain returned almost immediately.

So I completely stopped the practice of putting the cell phone to my ear, and the pain stopped, for over two years.  That is, until about six months ago...

We had allowed SEMCO, our natural gas provider, to install new gas meters because both the installers assured us that they were not installing radio transmitting smart meters.  However, about six months later, the pain in my "phone ear" returned.

I knew that I was not putting the phone to my ear, so what was causing the pain to return?  The new gas meters did not have a digital read-out, like most of the smart meters I've seen, so I did a little investigating, and Googled images of gas smart meters.


Image from http://www.semcoenergygas.com/Default.aspx?id=121&b=201

Sure enough, SEMCO had installed radio transmitting gas smart meters without our knowledge or consent.

We haven't communicated our desire to SEMCO, for them to remove their radio transmitting meters and replace them with traditional analogue meters yet, because we've been corresponding with the City of Battle Creek Water Department regarding their radio transmitting smart meters.  However, SEMCO is next.

The City of Battle Creek Water Department "radio devices" without our knowledge or consent also.  After being confronted by that fact, the Utility Administrator at the City of Battle Creek Water Department, did apologize, so I must give them credit for that.  And from most recent communication, it sounds like they are willing to remove the smart meter radio devices.  So I am intending that they stand by their word, and the removal process proceeds peacefully and easily for all.

Some people say that we sensitive ones may be akin to the proverbial canary in the coal mine - an early warning sign of the effects of increasing amounts of exposure to radio frequency electromagnetic fields.  Perhaps we are...

There is a plethora of information on the internet about people like me, who experience mild to debilitating effects from radio transmitting smart meters.  I've even heard that the non-wireless "opt-out," or digital meters, can be just as harmful, if not more.  Many studies are surfacing by doctors, scientists, researchers, PhD's, engineers, and other professionals, pointing to the negative effects smart meters have on some people.  Over 190 professionals have now signed an appeal to the United Nations, its member states, and the World Health Organization, calling for tighter regulations around radio frequencies and electromagnetic radiation.  And even the American Cancer Society has stated, "Smart meters have not been studied to see if they cause health problems."  

Then why, I ask, are they being installed all around the world?


The fact is that we have not gone one generation with the level of radio frequencies most people now experience in every day life, so we really don't know about long term effects.

What I do know is that I am affected by these devices, and that is why I desire to live in a smart-meter-free-zone, thank you very much!

My smart-meter-saga continues in a new blog called Canary In The Coal Mine.

Abundant Blessings to You!


Image from http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters/action-now/ 

For more information:








No comments:

Post a Comment